Thursday, October 15, 2009

Wursts

This blog is terribly, terribly out of date. Which goes to show just how unstressed I've been this semester. I've mentioned before that it's only when I have something big due and need a lot of procrastination to keep me going do I update this blog. And now, finally, while working on a Spanish essay, do I decide to finish up my three-part series on Austrian food. I know, I know... That was MAY. How dare I talk about something I've had a whole five months ago?? Well, because they're too good to not mention. And once I'm done with this, I can fiiinally write about my trip to China the next time I have a paper due.

Anyway, traveling Austria was super fun, but it was also the most expensive week I've spent anywhere, I think. Maybe it's just because I had to pay for the whole trip myself, but I really think the amount of money spent per day for that week was higher than any other trip I've done. Sure, the flights to Asian may be marginally more expensive, but once you're there, the accommodations are pretty cheap (or free! Gotta love family) and the food even cheaper. But I swear, I spent almost another round trip flight's worth of money on food and lodgings for a week in Austria. Pretty terrifying. But who can turn down delicious food and tortes?

The cheapest meals Chris and I had in Austria took the form of sausages (2-3 Euros per delicious meal? Count me in!). When we were in Innsbruck, there was a wurstkart parked in the middle of the touristy square, next to the golden roof.

From Austria


From Austria


There was a huge crowd of tourists ordering in every language imaginable. Naturally, Chris and I joined the crowd of tourists and ordered from their huge selection of sausages.

From Austria


Chris ordered a St. Johannes, which looked like any old sausage, except it was super long and skinny (coincidence that Chris ordered that one?).

From Austria


I got a weisswurst, which is literally a white sausage. The reason it's white is that it doesn't have the nitrite preservative. Because of this, it's usually eaten as a mid-morning snack and never left for later in the day. Apparently it can be so liquidy that the traditional way of eating it is to open the sausage and suck the meat out of its casing. That was not the state of the sausage that I got, thankfully, but it was way more tender than any other sausage I've had before. Inside, you can see small flecks of herbs and spices that its made with.

From Austria


The interesting thing about buying wursts in Austria is that they're usually not served on a bun, like hot dogs, but are given to you cut up on a plate with a squirt of mustard and a thick slice of brown bread. The brown bread is a much better accompaniment to the sausage given its heartiness, as opposed to the flimsy and blank white bread buns.

After we got back to Vienna, I went looking for another wurstkart, and ordered Hungerwurst (Hungarian sausage), which was spicy and bright red from the paprika. Also very delicious.

From Austria

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Chris' sausage is my favorite... (if you know what I mean).