Friday, June 18, 2010

Beets!



Ever since this past winter break, I've been obsessed with putting roasted beets in salad. It only helps that the ruby-red root gets touted as a super food like, all the time. While I'm absolutely fascinated by the wild possibilities of doing things other than roasting them, the simplicity of tossing them into foil, baking and leaving them until they're done and ready to be tossed into a salad can't be... beet. Plus, they make a salad look so good! What's not to love?

Trim off the greens (and save them! They're delicious!), scrub the beets well and cut them into pieces of similar sizes:


Stick them into a little foil pocket with some olive oil (salt and pepper optional). Bake them at around 375 until tender enough for a knife to pierce through easily. Once they're done, take them out and cut them into small sizes if you want. Some people also peel them but I just eat them with the peel on.


While the beets are roasting, prepare the salad. I find toasted walnuts go especially well with beets (but then again I put toasted walnuts on everything nowdays...).


Crisp lettuce + creamy salty feta + slightly sweet beets still warm from roasting + crunchy walnuts = superlunch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Helen, I just caught up on your blog and I am now STARVING. I blame you and your wonderfully enticing descriptions of all the delicious things you're making and trying out!

How goes the DC apt searching?