Sunday, September 12, 2010

The New Vegetarian

I just added a new food blog to my google reader. Adding a new subscription always feel like a big commitment - more time wasted spent reading instead of doing work, another person to care about when they have something to say. But I think Yotam Ottolenghi's New Vegetarian is definitely worth it. The column has recipes that combine interesting ingredients in ways unfamiliar to me. And as someone who is constantly teetering on the edge of complete vegetarianism, I enjoy not having to think about how to substitute out the meat in a dish and worry about how that's going to affect its taste.

One of my favorite things about reading food blogs as opposed to a cookbook is that a good blog always reminds me of what's in season. Being constantly strapped for cash prevents me from buying too many fresh and fancy ingredients, so when I do, it better be good and worth the money. Here's an example of what's not worth the money: I once tried to buy a single heirloom tomato at the Dupont Circle farmers market and it was more than $6. Needless to say, I put it back on the shelf for some rich yuppy who won't flinch at the price. Anyway, good vegetarian food blogs tend to post recipes that use a lot of fresh ingredients, which tend to be the cheapest and the best-tasting when they're in season.

The New Vegetarian not only incorporates many seasonal ingredients, but also prepares them in interesting ways, often with plenty of herbs and spices. My go-to method of cooking most veggies is to roast them and/or stick them in salads, so I look forward to expanding my repertoire. Plus, his pictures are gorgeous!

No comments: