Thursday, November 25, 2010

Lobster truck



I've been trying to have a lobster rolls for weeks now, and last weekend, the Red Hook Lobster Truck just happened to be parked conveniently by Eastern Market, close to the Library of Congress where Keith and I were visiting as part of our adventures on the mall.

Lobster truck's lobster rolls come in two styles: Maine and Connecticut. The Maine style lobster comes lightly dressed in mayo, lemon juice, paprika, and some herbs. The Connecticut style, on the other hand, is simply tossed in butter. For a few extra bucks, you can get a lobster roll meal which includes some cape cod chips and a wide selection of bottomless hand crafted soda. The ginger ale was the only one I really drank but they also had root beer, sarsaparilla, maxi-cola, and two types of cream sodas.



The sandwich, which is served on a toasted white roll, was deceptively filling and worth every single penny of the 18 dollars I paid (well, the 4 cups of soda I drank also may have had something to do with it). The meat was fresh and tossed with the minimal amount of dressing necessary to really bring out the natural lobster flavors without being overpowering. Despite my delicious Maine lobster roll, the smell of melted butter that permeated the air convinced me that I needed a return trip for the Connecticut style. Actually, I need several return trips -- The shrimp rolls they had on the menu also look delicious.

Another good thing about the truck: it plays excellent music. That day, it was parked next to a nice patch of grass in excellent weather, so almost everyone, Keith and I included, just sat next to the truck for a very pleasant picnic. I would highly recommend tracking the truck down and trying out a roll for yourself!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just saw this, and now I want more lobster. Luckily, I am in Bangor, Maine at the moment. Unfortunately, I am about to board a plane to leave the state... clearly I'll have to visit DC again and track you down, to eat some more lobster (Connecticut style?).