Monday, August 29, 2011

Shrimp Scampi



All of my writing energy is going towards secondary applications for medical school right now, so postings will remain pretty sparse for a while. But I've really missed writing about food. Maintaining this blog really forces me to step outside of the typical meal rotations of soup, salad, and cereal and keeps me excited about my new-found situation of cooking for one everyday.

I'm really glad I found this recipe because it's super quick to throw together on a weeknight. It's also a really bright-tasting dish and a nice change from a tomato-based pasta sauce. Plus, since most of the ingredients are usually in my fridge anyway, as long as I remember to buy shrimp ahead of time, it doesn't take any advanced planning. Lastly, for quite a few reasons, I'm trying to incorporate more animal protein in my diet and shrimp seems to be an easy way to do it.




Shrimp Scampi
From America's Test Kitchen

2 tbs butter
2 tbs olive oil
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 pound defrosted, peeled, de-veined, tail-on shrimp
1/2 c dry white wine
2 tbs finely chopped parsley
ground black pepper
1 tbs fresh lemon juice

1 lb long pasta

Cook pasta according to package instructions. While the pasta cooks, heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over high heat until butter foams. Add garlic and pepper and cook until garlic starts to color and immediately add the shrimp and the white wine. Toss everything and spread shrimp into one layer. With the heat still on high, boil everything for 2-3 minutes before turning the shrimp over and boiling for one more minute. Remove from heat, toss in parsley, pepper, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Serve over pasta.

No comments: