Monday, January 2, 2012

Roasted carrot and red lentil soup



With this winter's unpredictable temperature, I haven't entered full-on soup mode like I did by this time last year. But after today's flurries (!), maybe this means that I can forget that there are cherry blossoms down the street and cook as if it's actually winter?

This soup is so comforting and good. I love that the red lentils fall apart after absorbing all the flavors of the stock. I love how the three peppers add multiple dimensions of spice. And I love the roasted onions and carrots' subtle sweetness, which perfectly balance the kick from the peppers. Sop up the soup with a piece of crusty country bread or sourdough, and make it again and again.

Happy 2012!





Roasted Carrot and Red Lentil Soup
Adapted from The Wednesday Chef

Serves 6

1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and diced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
1 small chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (less if you want a milder stew)
1/8 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and picked over
4 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay the carrots on a cookie sheet and toss with 3 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes. Turn the carrots, add the onion, and roast for 15 minutes until the carrots are tender and onions are caramelized.

Warm 2 tablespoons of oil in a pot. Add the carrot-and-onion mixture, cayenne pepper, chipotle chile, and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the lentils. Add the stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the lentils are falling apart. Salt to taste and serve.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I need this in my stomach several hours ago. Any recipes incorporating time-turners to suggest?

Helen said...

Guess I'll have to break out my pumpkin pastie and butter beer recipes next!