Friday, July 18, 2008

Quinoa Cereal

Let me say this out right: I love grape nuts. I love them with soymilk and warmed in the microwave for 45 seconds so that they're chewy and and nutty and absolutely delicious. It's the greatest compromise between my love for having something warm and grape nuts in the morning. Ever.


It's kind of my idea of perfect breakfast.

Are you done giving me those looks now? Ok, let me tell you about the real purpose of this log entry now.

Once in a while, disaster strikes, and my family-size box of grapenuts runs out and I'm too annoyed by the co-op to buy their small box which costs almost 6 dollars. That's when I look for any kind of grain I can get my hands on the night before, boil it until it's soft, and heat it up in a pot with some soy milk, nuts, cinnnamon, and fruit. I did it with quinoa for a while, and have done it with barley. And I have to say, it's almost has good as grape nuts.

Quinoa cereal

1. Prepare grain according to the directions on whatever container it came it. For quinoa, it's typically a 2:1 water to grain ratio. Bring water to a boil, add quinoa, bring it back to a boil. Then turn the heat down to a simmer until it's soft and chewy, about 15 minutes. Use immediately or store in the fridge.

2. In a small sauce pan, combine quinoa and enough milk or soymilk to cover. Add fruit, cinnamon, nuts, yogurt... etc. Heat until warm but not boiling.


Quinoa in soymilk with cinnamon, a banana, blueberries, and topped off with yogurt.

No comments: