Monday, May 9, 2011

Vodka gnocchi



I've never been much of a pasta eater. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because it's one of the foods I eat the most slowly, and if you know me at all, you know it how slow that would be. It's virtually impossible for me to finish a plate before it goes cold. And cold pasta is rarely delicious.

But everything changed when we made this dish.

This is a seriously amazing recipe. My stomach is grumbling and my mouth is watering as I think about it. It combines the lovely mouth feel of a great cream sauce with a tomato sauce's tanginess, plus some vodka. I tried to understand the role of vodka here but failed -- some claim that since ethanol is such a good solvent, it can readily hold onto all the good flavors of a dish. But my question is: if all the ethanol evaporates during the cooking process and vodka is supposedly a tasteless alcohol, what exactly does it do?



Well, regardless of this mystery, this dish has become our go-to meal. I use gnocchi because I can actually manage to eat it fast enough without everything going cold by the time I finish AND because Trader Joe's gnocchi is fantastic. And if you eat everything with a spoon, it doesn't really matter that the shape of the gnocchi doesn't do anything to hold onto the sauce.



Vodka Gnocchi
From Smitten Kitchen

1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
2 shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup vodka
1 32oz can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed (I do this using my hands)
1 lb gnocchi (you can also use penne or rotini)
1/2 cup heavy cream
a large handful of basil leaves, chiffonaded

Heat butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until soft and fragrant and then add garlic to saute for another minute. Add vodka, reduce by about half, then add chicken stock and tomatoes and let it simmer.

Cook your pasta. When it is almost ready, stir in the heavy cream, salt and pepper to your sauce and return to a simmer. Drain your pasta, and top with the sauce and basil.

Serves 2, with sauce left over for delicious future meals.

No comments: