Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Apartment cuisine: corn curry

My eating habits have been changing almost as drastically as my living situation in the past few months. First, after coming home from college, I ate mostly fresh fruits and veggies which I felt so deprived of at Swarthmore. Then, on my trip to the Pacific Northwest, I ate almost constantly and the meals consisted of fewer green things. The backpacking trip after that involved more peanut butter and granola than I ate in months. And most recently, right after I started working and was doing that ridiculous 3 hour commute, I ate small breakfasts and lunches because I'd be in a rush and a large dinner (cooked by my parents, fortunately) because I was usually famished when I got home.


Now, having moved into a new apartment and reduced my commuting time by a factor of three, I have the time and energy to spend more time cooking when I get back from work. I can see myself making simple but filling meals for dinner when I get home each day and spending more time over the weekend making something big to bring for lunch over the week. For the past two dinners since I've moved in, I thought about what I wanted to eat during the day (and feasibly cook, of course!) and bought the ingredients at the conveniently located grocery store coming out of the metro stop.

On Monday, I was still adequately tired from the move that my first dinner at the apartment was just an omelet. Nothing terribly impressive but still filling and delicious.



I was a little more ambitious tonight and jazzed up a corn and tomato curry recipe. It seems like the world is awash with fresh and delicious corn (6 for $1.88!) waiting to be taken advantage of. In addition to the recipe, I sauteed some cumin seeds and garlic before adding the main ingredients to round out the curry powder, added half a can of chickpeas for more substance, and put more water in before leaving it to simmer for a bit towards the end to make it a soupier and more rice-friendly dish.





In keeping with the Indian theme, I heated up some Trader Joe's palak paneer, but found it too spicy and salty so I ended up topping it with a little Greek yogurt to mellow it some. The curry, however, is perfect. It's flavorful without overwhelming the sweetness of the summer corn. I also have a feeling that this dish will be even better with time as the flavors meld a little more.


As my cooking habits change, this blog will probably reflect that. Look forward to more frequent (and probably shorter) postings of apartment cuisines!

No comments: