Saturday, August 14, 2010

Boy baiting



I was at a dinner party hosted by some NIH fellows this past weekend. Since I am absolutely clueless when it comes to choosing wines, I brought dessert instead. It's called a boy bait, named by a 15 year-old girl who submitted it as an entry to a Pillsbury bake off for its effect on boys, but a certain Australian thinks that it sounds like something a sex offender would make. I know I'd have a harder time protecting myself if those people baked like this.



Anyway, this cake is delicious. The two sticks of butter in batter makes it incredibly tender and I love the thin layer of cinnamon sugar on top. The cake is also sweet enough that any mediocre blueberries (like the ones I had) don't add too much except in the way of texture. The recipe makes a lot -- a 9x13 pan worth so there was plenty leftover to brown bag.

The dinner party itself was wonderful and filled with delicious food. Paul made amazing guacamole and mango salsa that made me really glad that I arrived early, as well as 2 types of mac 'n cheese.





A guest brought something called samosa charo, which consists of a bottom layer of (homemade!) samosas, topped with chickpeas, raita, and cilantro. Yum.



The boy bait, incidentally won high praise but did not mark the end of the dinner party. Instead, drinking catch phrase and shots of sweet tea vodka did. Can you blame me for enjoying dinner parties hosted by 23 year olds more than the ones hosted by my parents?

No comments: